1. Transport layer aggregates data from different applications into a single stream before passing it to ____________
a. network layer
b. data link layer
c. application layer
d. physical layer
2. Which of the following are transport layer protocols used in networking?
a. TCP and FTP
b. UDP and HTTP
c. TCP and UDP
d. HTTP and FTP
3. User datagram protocol is called connectionless because _____________
a. all UDP packets are treated independently by transport layer
b. it sends data as a stream of related packets
c. it is received in the same order as sent order
d. it sends data very quickly
4. Transmission control protocol ___________
a. is a connection-oriented protocol
b. uses a three way handshake to establish a connection
c. receives data from application as a single stream
d. all of the mentioned
5. Socket-style API for windows is called____________
6. An endpoint of an inter-process communication flow across a computer network is called
7. Which one of the following is a version of UDP with congestion control?
a. datagram congestion control protocol
b. stream control transmission protocol
c. structured stream transport
d. user congestion control protocol
8. A _____ is a TCP name for a transport service access point.
9. Transport layer protocols deals with _____
a. application to application communication
b. process to process communication
c. node to node communication
d. man to man communication
10. Which of the following is a transport layer protocol?
a. stream control transmission protocol
b. internet control message protocol
c. neighbor discovery protocol
d. dynamic host configuration protocol
11. What are the functions of the transport layer?
a. Multiplexing/ Demultiplexing
b. Connection less Services
c. Connection oriented service
d. Congestion control
12. Which services are provided by transport layer?
a. Error control
b. Connection service
c. Connection less service
d. Congestion control
13. TCP and UDP are called ________
a. Application protocols
b. Session protocols
c. Transport protocols
d. Network protocols
14. Security based connection is provided by
a. Network layer
b. Session layer
c. Application layer
d. Transport layer
15. TCP is the standard protocol with std no?
16. Using which method in transport layer data integrity can be ensured?
b. Repetition codes
c. Cyclic redundancy checks
d. Error correcting codes
17. Buffer overrun can be reduced by using what?
a. Traffic control
b. Flow control
c. Byte orientation
d. Data integrity
18. Transport layer can identify the symptoms of overload nodes using _________
a. Flow control
b. Traffic control
c. Byte orientation
d. Data integrity
19. Transport layer is which layer in OSI model?
a. Fourth layer
b. Third layer
c. Second layer
d. Fifth layer
20. Congestion control can control traffic entry into a telecommunications network, so to avoid _________
a. Congestive connection
b. Connection collapse
c. Congestive collapse
d. Collapse congestive
21. FCP stands for _________
a. Fiber Channel Protocol
b. Field Channel Protocol
c. Fast Channel Protocol
d. Fiber Carrying Protocol
22. UDP packets are called as _________
23._________ does not provide reliable end to end communication.
c. Both TCP and UDP
d. Neither TCP nor UDP
24. ARQ stands for __________
a. Automatic Repeat Request
b. Automatic Request Repeat
c. Application Repeat Request
d. Application Request Repeat
25. The transport layer protocols used for real time multimedia, file transfer, DNS and email, respectively are:
a. TCP, UDP, UDP and TCP
b. UDP, TCP, TCP and UDP
c. UDP, TCP, UDP and TCP
d. TCP, UDP, TCP and UDP
26. Which of the following transport layer protocols is used to support electronic mail?
27. Consider an instance of TCP’s Additive Increase Multiplicative Decrease (AIMD) algorithm where the window size at the start of the slow start phase is 2 MSS and the threshold at the start of the first transmission is 8 MSS. Assume that a timeout occurs during the fifth transmission. Find the congestion window size at the end of the tenth transmission.
a. 8 MSS
b. 14 MSS
c. 7 MSS
d. 12 MSS
28. A layer-4 firewall (a device that can look at all protocol headers up to the transport layer) CANNOT
a. block entire HTTP traffic during 9:00PM and 5 :0OAM
b. block all ICMP traffic
c. stop incoming traffic from a specific IP address but allow outgoing traffic to the same IP address
d. block TCP traffic from a specific user on a multi-user system during 9:00PM and 5:00AM
29. Which of the following system calls results in the sending of SYN packets?
30. In the slow start phase of the TCP congestion control algorithm, the size of the congestion window
a. does not increase
b. increases linearly
c. increases quadratically
d. increases exponentially
31. Which one of the following uses UDP as the transport protocol?
32. the maximum window size for data transmission using the selective reject protocol with n-bit frame sequence numbers is:
c. 2^n – 1
33. Which of the following is NOT true about User Datagram Protocol in transport layer?
a. Works well in unidirectional communication, suitable for broadcast information.
b. It does three way handshake before sending datagrams
c. It provides datagrams, suitable for modeling other protocols such as in IP tunneling or Remote Procedure Call and the Network File System
d. The lack of retransmission delays
makes it suitable for real-time
34. Identify the correct order in which a server process must invoke the function calls accept, bind, listen, and recv according to UNIX socket API
a. listen, accept, bind recv
b. bind, listen, accept, recv
c. bind, accept, listen, recv
d. accept, listen, bind, recv
35. Consider the following statements.
I. TCP connections are full duplex.
II. TCP has no option for selective acknowledgment
III. TCP connections are message streams.
a. Only I is correct
b. Only I and II are correct
c. Only II and III are correct
d. All of I, II and III are correct
36. Generally TCP is reliable and UDP is not reliable. DNS which has to be reliable uses UDP because
a. UDP is slower
b. DNS servers has to keep connections
c. DNS requests are generally very small and fit well within UDP segments
d. None of these
37. Suppose there are n stations in a slotted LAN. Each station attempts to transmit with a probability P in each time slot. The probability that only one station transmits in a given slot is _______.
a. nP(1 – P)n – 1
c. P(1 – P)n – 1
d. n P(1 – P)n – 1
38. What is the maximum size of data that the application layer can pass on to the TCP layer below?
a. Any size
b. 216 bytes – size of TCP header
c. 216 bytes
39. An ACK number of 1000 in TCP always means that
a. 999 bytes have been successfully received
b. 1000 bytes have been successfully received
c. 1001 bytes have been successfully received
d. None of the above
40. Suppose you are browsing the world wide web using a web browser and trying to access the web servers. What is the underlying protocol and port number that are being used?
a. UDP, 80
b. TCP, 80
c. TCP, 25
d. UDP, 25
41. If link transmits 4000 frames per second and each slot has 8 bits, the transmission rate of circuit of this TDM is ______.
a. 64 Kbps
b. 32 Mbps
c. 32 Kbps
d. 64 MbpS
42. Which algorithm is used to shape the bursty traffic into a fixed rate traffic by averaging the data rate?
a. solid bucket algorithm
b. spanning tree algorithm
c. hocken helm algorithm
d. leaky bucket algorithm
43. Four channels are multiplexed using TDM. If each channel sends 100 bytes/second and we multiplex 1 byte per channel, then the bit rate for the link is __________.
a. 400 bps
b. 800 bps
c. 1600 bps
d. 3200 bps
44. A device is sending out data at the rate of 2000 bps. How long does it take to send a file of 1,00,000 characters ?
45. The TCP sliding window
a. can be used to control the flow of information
b. always occurs when the field value is 0
c. always occurs when the field value is 1
d. occurs horizontally