In this section, we are going to discuss about the history of java programming language.
You can also refer our video tutorial for same.
So let’s start with this tutorial :
History of java
- Java was developed by a team of Sun Microsystems called “green team” under a project called “green project” and released in 1995.
- Sun Microsystems was an American company in which sun stands for Stanford University Network. Sun was started in 1982.
- Sun Microsystems was founded by Andreas Bechtolsheim, Vinod Khosla, and Scott McNeally in which Vinod Khosla was the co-founder of the company. Sun sold computer systems, component of computers, hardware, software, computer workstation and servers.
- In 27 January 2010, sun was acquired by Oracle Corporation for US$7.4 billion. So now java is called as the product of oracle.
- It was choosen as top 10 best products of 1995 by time magazine.
- James Gosling, Patrick Naughton and Mike Sheriden are the core member of Green Team.
James Gosling Patrick Naughton Mike Sheriden
- Initially the main objective of green team was to develop a programming language which can be used for the programming of electronic devices like set-top box and television.
- In the long run java proved a helpful programming language for internet application.
- Firstly java was called as “green talk” and its file extension was .gt . After that in order to indicate the strength and popularity, it was named as “Oak”.
- In 1995, Oak was renamed to java because oak was already the Trademark of Oak technologies company and java was one of the top choice of Team members along with the silk.
- The symbol of java come from the name itself because Java is an island of Indonesia where first coffee was produced (called java coffee).
If you found this post useful, don’t forget to share this with your friends, and if you have any query feel free to comment it in the comment section.
Thank you 🙂 Keep Learning !